1. 2 pounds button mushrooms, halved
2. 2 tablespoons butter
3. 2 tablespoons olive oil
4. 3 garlic cloves, minced
5. 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
6. 3/4 cup dry sherry
7. Salt and pepper
1. Place a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the butter and oil. Once the butter has melted, add the mushrooms.
2. Allow the mushrooms to sear for 5 minutes, stirring to flip them over. Then add the garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Allow the mushrooms to sear another 5 minutes to develop a rich caramelized color.
3. Stir in the fresh thyme leaves and sherry. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for approximately 10 more minutes, stirring on occasion. The goal is for the mushrooms to absorb the sherry, leaving only a small amount of moisture in the pan. Taste, then salt and pepper again if needed. Serve warm over meat or as a side dish.