1. 1 piece ginger, peeled
2. 10 kaffir lime leaves or 1 Tbsp. Lime zest and 1/4cup lime juice
3. 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4. 1.5 lb.skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 pieces
5. 8 oz. shiitake, oyster, stemmed, caps cut into bite-size pieces
6. 13.5-oz.coconut milk
7. 2 Tbsp. fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
8. 1 tsp. sugar
9. 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, tough outer layers removed
10. Chili oil, cilantro leaves with tender stems, and lime wedges (for serving)
1. Using the back of a knife, lightly smash lemongrass and ginger; cut lemongrass into 4 pieces. Bring lemongrass, ginger, lime leaves, and broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors are melded, 8–10 minutes. Strain broth into clean saucepan; discard solids.
2. Add chicken and return to a boil. Reduce heat, add mushrooms, and simmer, skimming occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and mushrooms are soft, 20–25 minutes. Mix in coconut milk, fish sauce, and sugar.
3. Divide soup among bowls. Serve with chili oil, cilantro, and lime wedges.